Computers nowadays are getting compact day-by-day and so the external storage options. The computer manufacturers, especially Laptop manufacturers, are neglecting Optical Disk drives and making laptops lightweight. The optical disk drives are still available to use in Desktop Computers, but it is becoming rare to spot a Laptop with Optical Disk Drives. Mostly, the operating systems are installed on a bootable optical disk. But, it becomes difficult to install the OS on a laptop without the presence of Disk drives. That’s why, for portable computers like Laptops, people use Bootable USB drives.
With Bootable USB Drives, it becomes easier to install the operating system on any laptop or desktop computer. The USB Drives are more fast and compact in size to carry. If you have a USB drive and want to turn it into bootable USB drive, then we are here to your rescue. In this post, you can learn how to create bootable USB drive to install any operating system.
How to Create Bootable USB Drive to Install Any OS
- A USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 Drive (Pen Drive)
An Essential Part in this post is USB Drive. You can use USB 2.0 Drive, but it is recommended to use USB 3.0 Pen drive for getting faster installation speed.
- Rufus (Software)
Rufus is a third party open source software which will helps us to create Bootable USB Drives to install OS. This third-party software is very lightweight i.e. almost 650KB in size. You can download this software from this link.
- ISO Image of Operating System
The ISO image is a compressed version of any operating system. You’ll get the .ISO extension file of any operating system, which can be used to create a Bootable USB Drive or Optical Disk. Download the ISO image and keep it handy to proceed further.
- A Working Computer
This is important to create a Bootable Pen drive to install any operating system. You’ve to have it for the first time only. Once you create a Bootable USB Drive, you can install any OS in soft bricked computers.
- After installing Rufus on the computer, you’ve to open it. In the Rufus software, you’ll see the first option, which is “Device.” In this option, you’ll see the removable storage connected to the computer. Plug the USB drive in the PC and it’ll appear in the Rufus software. Choose the USB Drive under “Device” section and proceed further.
- Now, you’ll see the second option, which is “Partition Scheme and Target System Type.” Don’t try to modify it.
- After that, choose the file system. Change the file system of the USB Drive from FAT32 to NTFS. The Rufus software will format the USB Drive to NTFS file system to turn it into Bootable USB drive to install the operating system. There is another option named as “Cluster Size”. Don’t try to change the Cluster size.
- Now, modify the name of the USB Drive if you want to, otherwise leave it blank or unchanged. If you have the ISO image of the operating system, then check the “Create a Bootable Disk Image” option and select ISO image option from the Drop down menu. There is a button on the right side of the drop-down menu. Click on it and choose the ISO image from the location where you saved it.
- Now, click on “Start” and Rufus will start its work. Firstly, it will format the USB Drive and then install ISO files to create the Bootable USB drive to install almost any operating system.
So, this was the detailed tutorial on creating bootable USB drive to install any operating system. The Rufus app is very straightforward and easy to use. Still, if you face any problem while following these procedures, please let us know via comments.